Follow me

Follow Us

Thursday 28 May 2009

Cheese Rolling

Here's the breakdown, basically a bunch of people (drunk, crazy or both) take their spot on the starting line at the top of Cooper's Hill.  They release a wheel of cheese and the first person down the hill to catch it wins.  If you're wondering why it's not called 'Cheese Chasing' it's because everyone ends up rolling down the hill...
and there's nothing graceful about it.  So I figure why not add another ridiculous competition/championship to the trophy case along with Chicken Chuckin... props to Junes, Lynda, Burrows and Barks who was there in spirit.

So the day starts off like any other annual event; booze for breakfast.  We're on the bus by 10 am and everyone is drinking, singing Ring of Fire compliments of Rewen and some have already passed out from partying the night before.  After a few hours the onboard toilet was almost full and we arrived just in time.  We pile out and start our trek up the hill...

Sober - 30 mins
Drunk - 1 hour
Drunk carrying Super Drunk - 1 1/2 hours

Yes I had to carry a super drunk girl 3/4 of the way up the hill until I found the other super drunks and left her there.  I continue my climb and find some other guys from our group and start drinking Jameson's as we climb the part of the hill you roll down.

So finally after climbing the hill and waiting in line I'm led to the starting line where for the first time I see how steep the hill actually is, and as I swayed drunkenly in the wind I thought about how I was going to win a Wheel of Cheese for team U.W.U.C.C.T.  The sound goes and we all start descending the hill.  I'm doing well as I run then slide, then run and slide until I hit a plateau on the hill.  From there it was a blur of ground, sky, ground, sky, fat guy, sky, ground, sky... somehow back on my feet running way too bloody fast like a 3 year old who's feet can't keep up with his body.... BOOM, sliding face plant at the bottom.  A bit sore and dizzy I stagger around looking for the cheese until an organizer tells me there's only cheese in the first 5 races,  "Wait, you telling me I just barreled down a stupid steep hill, ripped the hell out my pants and suffered multiple injuries I'm not fully aware of yet... for NO CHEESE!

However, it was fun and quite the rush.  As a spectator it is hilarious to watch.  For the day I witnessed a couple concussions and a broken ankle.  But the funniest came to a drunk spectator watching from a tree fell out of the tree then rolled half way down the hill.

Now for the long walk back... uh oh, I need to # 2 be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment