Follow me

Follow Us

Friday 6 March 2009

First Day in London

The first half of the day was boring, I wandered around the airport, had lunch and just killed time until my next flight (to Glasgow). I go to check-in and find out it's been cancelled along with dozens of other flights due to bad weather.  I look outside and it doesn't seem too bad, "Must be pretty bad in Glasgow".  Oh well, now to find a place to sleep,
so I book a hostel called St. Christopher's.  I go to take a bus to get there but all the buses in the city have been shut down.  This is when I realize that the storm is in London and these people can't deal with snow any better than a dog can deal with a vacuum, they just stare at it and freak out.  Next I try the train which I find out only one is running every hour.  While waiting in this chaos and commotion I notice that the police are just as quirky as they are in the movies.  Always acting like everything is a rush (even though it's very clear no one is going anywhere in London today) and never-ending with the whistles.  I'm pretty sure I saw one cop talking out one side of his mouth and blowing his whistle out the other side.

So I get on the train and doze in and out thinking who cares if someone tries to pick-pocket me, someone already had and got my wallet.  I get to the next station and realize I wasted money paying for the ticket cuz no one checked at either end.  Pay 30 pence to use the washroom (or more correctly over here, the "toilet") then wait almost an hour to catch a cab.  While chatting with the cabbie I learn that this is the biggest snowstorm they're had in 18 years, "Figures"  I get to the hostel, get ready for bed and in the process find my wallet, at least the day ended on a good note.

My conclusion of London after Day 1:  London is like an elephant.  It's big, everyone has heard of it and everyone wants to see it at least once... but, when it sees a mouse it freaks out and doesn't know what to do.  When London sees snow they think, "HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT.... A MOUSE"

ps.  Total snowfall = 8 inches over 2 days

No comments:

Post a Comment