Follow me

Follow Us

Saturday 14 March 2009

London - Round 2

This time was much a much better start, mainly because the city wasn't shut down under 4 inches of snow.  However, this time I realized how expensive the city really is, it's ridiculous.  The first hostel I stayed at basically stole from you legally.  Once you get there you're given all sorts of vouchers, one of them being free internet time on their computers.  You soon find out that half the sites
people use on a daily basis have been blocked, not to mention it was so slow I think they may still be using dial-up.  Other option, use you're laptop and pay 15 pounds per week or 10 pounds per day.  The other voucher you get is 2.30 off breakfast each day; the cheapest meal costs 2.75, "Still not bad, only 45p for breakfast."  Until they charge you 30p for butter, 20p for jam and 15p for ketchup, "You sneaky bastards, and the food is shit except for the toast."  So to solve these two problems simply go out for lunch one day and stock up on these items.  For internet go to the far ends of the building and steal some locals signal.  You may think I'm being cheap but this student house is just a money grab, they're the only hostel I've been to that doesn't have a common kitchen; forcing you to eat out or at they're "restaurant which is just a cafeteria, "F them"

Anyway, while there for a week I got things organized with banking and tax stuff.  On a more exciting note I went a pub crawl and came out with a job.  Only problem was I couldn't remember where, luckily they got in touch with me, ha.  Later in the week we went for some Japanese food for dinner.  I figured I'd try the Tiger beer, it they ask you if you want a large they don't mean pint, "Holy shit this thing is the size of a wine bottle."  And do they give me a glass, no.  "Oh no, everyone's looking at me waiting to see how I'm gonna drink this.  Just act natural like you meant to order it."  Didn't work, drinking a beer with two hands will never look natural.  So after I finished my beer and everyone else finished dessert we went salsa dancing, "Haha, joke is on them, drinking world's largest bottle of beer will come in hand now... I think"  Trick to going out dancing is to watch carefully for the first half hour.  Not to learn the moves but to find the worst dancers then dance beside them so no one notices how bad you are.  By the end of the night I'm not quite sure how it ended, needless to say the next day was not very productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment