Follow me

Follow Us

Thursday 19 March 2009

The Albert

This is one of the oldest and busiest pubs in London.  Just a few minutes walk from Trafalger Square and many of the most popular tourists sites.  This is also where I work, and that being said it really makes me miss working at the Lions.  If ever working at a bar or pub in London I'm sure somewhere in the fine print of your application it reads, "Work like a dog, get paid like a bitch"  It's not what I wanted to do (for reasons I understand even more so now) but it's the easiest type of work to get and
when you're running out of money you're not left with much choice.  The good thing is that I've been given the "Bar Training 101: For Idiots, By Idiots"

10 Most Important Training Procedures

10. How to pour a beer
9. How to make mixed drinks ie. Rum & Coke, Gin & Tonic
8. How to clear a table
7. How to reset chairs and change wipe a table
6. What to do with dirty dishes: scrape them and send to kitchen
5. What to do with a dirty glass: put in glass washer
4. How to change a garbage
3. How to sweep
2. Always serve to the next in line
1. How to take payment***(sub set of rules)

*** Tell them how much it is
Take their money
Make sure there's enough
Give correct change
Say thank you

Yes I'm expected to say thank you to them after I serve them drinks, "Not fucking likely"  Especially since 75% of our high class cliental look on you with their noses stuck so high in the air it's amazing they're not blind from staring at the sun all day.

There's my short rant, back to the training.  Surprisingly, I was not shown how to use the computer, debit machine, the hot food counter or where things could be found.  But I guess that's common knowledge you're expected to know.

On the upside most of the people I work with are really kewl, and everyone is from all over the world and I'm getting to learn lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment