Follow me

Follow Us

Monday 22 June 2009

Munich

     Well before we got to Munich we made one small stop in a country called Liechtenstein, which I think is the 6th smallest countries in the world.  We arrived in Munich around 5:30 and by 7 had started our pub crawl.  Not eating before a pub crawl is one thing, but before a German is just stupid.  The first hour “power hour” was all-you-can-drink, “This is getting fully taken advantage of, hell I’m traveling on a budget I’m gonna straight up abuse this opportunity.”  After more than my fair share
we happily travel to the first of three beer halls/gardens, “I think this one is the supposed to be biggest in Germany, but I’m drunk… it’s massive and I can’t find the toilet, there’s something these other 1000 people know that I don’t.”  There we got our steins and our 2nd of 3 free Jagers.  I remember getting to and drinking at the 2nd garden.  After that there was a quick flash of walking, being on the tram……………. Waking up in bed with pizza crust in the sheets.  Now back to sleep to kill this hangover.

     Day 2 was pretty relaxed, the girls went on a bike tour and I just went for a walk to the Marienplatz.  There’s was tons of stuff going on; everywhere you turn there were festivals, shows, street vending, specialty foods, etc.  And to my surprise lots of people were dressed up in old-fashioned German style.  I then found out that lucky us, happened to be in Munich for Munich’s birthday.  So everything made a bit more sense and it was at this moment I realized that tonight would be another drunkfest.  No choice, its Munich’s birthday.  At 7 I met up with everyone and they all had the same realization I did.  So beers in hand again as we try to put together the pieces from the pub crawl.  We had some pizza, got ready and hit the beer halls with our new found American friends. 

     Day 3 started better for the simple fact that I didn’t have any left over food in my bed.  Today was far more relaxed.  Becky, Briege & I went on a tour to Dachau Concentration Camp.  This was the first camp built and was the model for the rest and also acted as the headquarters for the SS Army.  Here they introduced and tested their methods, rules, etc. for all the other camps to follow.  Our tour guide did a fantastic job, but to just stand there knowing what was happening in that exact spot this time 65 years ago was very……….

     That evening the 3 of us just chilled out in the lounge catching up on computer stuff.  After 6 hours on the net and uploading hundreds of photos (of which none were mine… Briege, Becky, only you two I’d let get away with that, even after telling my friend from home to come try my bratwurst)… right, so after the internet business we went out for a proper German dinner.  All the meals were delicious, “Wish I could say what they were, but they consisted of every letter in the alphabet plus a few extras.”  That pretty much brings Munich to an end (for now… got my hostel booked for Oktoberfest) where we say good-bye to Briege as she takes off to Budapest and Bicky and I head to Venice in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment