Follow me

Follow Us

Sunday 4 March 2012

Travel NOW!!!

I figure since this blog began with traveling I should get back to that theme somewhat. Most people always think, and talk about where they want to travel next, but if that's the question you keep asking then most likely it will never happen. It's the same as thinking about what you would do if
you won the lottery. It's fun to get lost in the fantasy, but if you only think about where you want to go and what you want to do then it's just as likely to happen as winning the lottery. The best question to ask yourself is, 'When will you to travel?' My answer is 50 years ago. Yes, I realize that contradicts what I just said about getting lost in fantasy, but the difference is I know this will never happen, so it's alright to fantasize about. Plus if you stick with me you'll see the full circle.

Now, the reason I want to travel 50 years ago is because of the culture. Back then cultures were far more unique and the intricacies of life seemed so much more rewarding and significant. Nowadays with technology so advanced cultures seem to evolve and change so quickly it's hard to grasp anything that's real, a moment when time seems to stand still. So many countries, and people, and (most disturbingly) companies are moving at such blinding speeds into the future its creating one big melting pot, making everything everywhere the same. I'm sure there's many people who think this is a ridiculous statement, and that's fine (you just need to travel more), but bear with me a moment.

Consider this, 50 years ago McDonald's was only in the U.S. Now it's in 117 countries. My point being that so many companies that were once a unique entity to their native country have now become global sluts. I can travel halfway around the world and have the EXACT meal, or coffee as I do at home... Other notables: Starbucks, Wal-Mart.

Secondly, technology is the double-edged sword. It makes it easier to travel and see the world in so many ways, but at the same time people can see the world instantaneously. However, this is only looking at the world, not experiencing it which can give people a false sense of worldly knowledge.

Thirdly, and most alarming is the sentence I hear over and over. When I ask how was your trip? the answer is, "It was a lot fun, but it's just another big city" or "Just another resort." Are you kidding me, after a vacation that's part of the review. But it's true, and honestly, I've felt the same at times as well.

It's not until you travel to the remote places and venture off the tourist path that you truly begin to experience the real culture of where you're traveling to. Culture is not found in hotels and resorts, what's found there is the comforts of home away from home (So why the hell did you pay so much money to leave home?). The scary thing is that big corporations and companies are stretching to every corner of the world that before we know it everywhere will essentially look and feel the same. Home. Keeping us in our comfort zone anywhere we go. Boring.

Full circle time... I know I can only fantasize about going back 50 years to travel, but I damn well don't want to be sitting around 50 years from now with that same fantasy. So travel now before the world gets too fast, before it gets too similar, before it passes you by. Ask yourself WHEN you will travel, then ask where. You'll be amazed where you end up.



No comments:

Post a Comment