Follow me

Follow Us

Friday 6 April 2012

Happy Bunny Hunting

     Now that it's officially Easter weekend it's time to revisit some old family traditions. For me that means traveling out to Eastern Ontario to Martintown. If you've heard of it that's because you either know myself or my cousins personally, or you lived there. Either way, there's not many people who are familiar with this VERY tiny corner of Ontario. As a test I encourage anyone who knows
of this place to leave a comment and prove me wrong. Anyway, back to the traditions, beginning with the drive. Usually I enjoy making this trip late at night to avoid the traffic and enjoy the calmness of an empty road (also, you can drive much faster). However, attempting this trek just after rush hour does not provide the same serenity. There's traffic, stupid stupid stupid drivers and, of course, our beloved O.P.P. Who are always on hand to help a lucky few start their holiday weekends off with a big fake smile and a GREAT BIG genuine "fuck you". Fortunately I wasn't one of these people. The unfortunate driver of a beige sedan behind me had the opportunity to exercise their most creative curses under their breath. Although I did set a record for holding breath as I awaited my 50/50 fate.

     So there's the excitement. Upon arrival our Baker family traditions had began once again. Greeted by a kennel of dogs, cold drinks and lasagna being pulled from the oven (which now includes a vegetarian option, BOORRRIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!). But in all fairness I guess traditions do evolve as they move through generations. What remains the same for us, however, is as the weekend continues more family will trickle in and the house will become more crowded until it we settle into a comfortable chaos. Our Easter weekend consists of hikes, board/card games, coma inducing meals, speech impeding drinks and reminiscing of past holidays. All the while completely unaware of the new memories we're creating; until we call upon them next year when we point and laugh at each other all over again.

.................... and of course, the full contact Easter Egg Hunt that takes place. That's correct we're in our mid-twenties and we still do the hunt. What kind of crazy antics, trips or ridiculousness do you and your family get up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment