Follow me

Follow Us

Monday 16 April 2012

Young as F#@%... (Month of Your Life)

 My favourite month of the year is AUGUST. In August I will be in my late 50's...

What is your favourite month of the year? Got it? Good, now don't forget.

Being from Canada, and more vaguely the Northern Hemisphere, my favourite month comes around every summer. I'm sure most who live
around, or above the 43rd Latitude have this in common.
On a completely different note I am 26 years old. Over the last year I've been hearing, "I feel so old" or "I can't believe I'm already ___ years old", far too often. What annoys my ears is that the majority of mouths forming these words have only been speaking (give or take a couples year) just as long as myself. Since when is 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and dare I say 30!!! considered old? My grandfather recently celebrated a birthday and began his speech with, "Wow, I can't believe I'm 80." At 80 I think he's earned the credentials to say that; considering he's lived my life and yours (according to my blog analytics most of you reading this are in the same age demographic as myself) 3 times over, and then some.

The irony in all this is that everybody is, "So excited they can't wait" for something in the future. Whether it's a vacation, a job promotion, a special event or your aforethought favourite month. Everybody CAN'T WAIT!!! to get to the future... But wait, in the future you're OLDER!!

If you feel old in your 20's how will you feel in your 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's? (if you make it that far). Will you feel Over The Hill, Ancient, Archaic, Historic, Pre-historic or will you claim to be the BIG BANG. The saying, "You're only as old as you feel" couldn't be more true. Age is only a form of measurement. If we measure age by health, ability, how we act etc... Well, I'd say we're young as fuck. And have a long way to go.

The average life expectancy among the top 35 countries in the world (our brother wearing the stars and stripes, oddly, didn't make the guest list) is 80 years old. Let's assume that with all the technology, health advancements, awareness etc. that by the time our generation (let's also assume we haven't self-destructed already) approaches that age the expectancy will be up to 84. More importantly 84 makes for a nice round number for my month:life equation.

Imagine we only lived ONE calendar cycle, but it took 84 years to complete. That would mean (84 divided 12) each month would take 7 years to complete. Meaning that everyone ages 21-35 is technically in the SPRING season of their life. This is when you start getting excited for the great summer to come. In turn you should be excited for what's to come in life and not be dwelling on how old you think you are. Spring is the season of new life. So for all of us in our mid-twenties to our mid-thirties... Life's just getting started.



CALENDAR OF EVENTS

January   - You're born, there's a celebration. Being a new born you don't remember any of this, just     
                  like new year resolutions. 0-7
                                                                               
February - It's short and sweet, just like childhood innocence. 8-14

March      - In this calendar it's known as puberty month: Winter becomes Spring, Teen becomes    
                  Adult... Season of Change....... And everyone consumes more alcohol then they can handle                                
                  and goes green. 15-21

April       - This is a WET month, proper protection should be worn... 22-28 for the slow ones.

May        - Things are starting to come around; you start to get an idea of the season (years) to come, 
                  which calls for a celebration, in my case Victoria Day. 29-35

June        - Summer has arrived and you're ready to take it by storm. 36-42

July         - Summer is in full swing, you are in your prime and kicking ass, making money and                      
                  enjoying life... More celebrations; Canada Day. 43-49

August    - You’ve found, and defined your identity; you’ve made your mark and is now time to enjoy 
                  a life you’ve created as go get ready for the next chapter. 50-56

September -Transition from summer to fall = transition into retirement. 57-63

October     - It’s a scary month, the realization that you’re approaching the last lap. 64-70

November - A time for reflection of a long life filled with love, loss, tears, laughs and all the memories 
                    that tell your story. 71-77

December - It’s here, the last lap. This time when family is brought together, the gifts of everyone are
                   shared, and when it ends it’s celebrated with a PARTY!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment