Follow me

Follow Us

Saturday 4 July 2009

98% Idiots

     For those who have been following my “literature” this theory may sound a bit familiar as I made a brief mention of it in an earlier piece.  This is a small theory that came to realization while exploring the Vatican Museum. 

     While walking around it was impossible to avoid being blinded by flashes and hearing the huffs and puffs of frustrated disapproval from those
whose photo you just stepped into. “It’s their own fault, it’s the flashes from the idiots that is causing us to walk through peoples’ photos because we can’t see where the hell we’re going.”  On that note, I guarantee I could call each of them idiots and only 1 out of 50 would have me put my foot in mouth by telling me what they were even taking a picture of.  98% of the people in there taking 100’s of photos of which 98% they have no knowledge of what they’re taking a photo of, “Ohhh, look a painting in a museum, I should take a picture.”  Sorry, but one of the stupidest things you can do is take a photo of a painting or other photos, it’s never going to turn as good as the real thing.  I heard one lady say to her son she wanted to blow up the picture she had taken of the Sistine Chapel and put it on her wall.  To my pleasure her son replied, -Mom that’s stupid, it will look like crap, why not just buy a proper photo.- “Thank you random kid, I couldn’t have said it better myself”  For those 2% of people that know what they’re looking at and have studied the history of it, good for you.  I wish I had more knowledge of what I was looking at; it would have made it more interesting. 

     What I don’t understand is why people can’t just go there and enjoy it and take the time to appreciate what you’re looking at.  Instead, these idiots race through the place and snap photos of every little thing they can without even reading about what they’ve just taken a photo of.  Why?  So when they go home they can show their friends dozens of photos of things they know nothing about and most won’t recognize, “That seems pretty idiotic to me.”  The biggest display of my theory takes place in the Sistine Chapel.  There are signs blatantly posted saying no filming or photography.  Yet it’s like letting the Paparazzi into Britney Spears’ house while she’s babysitting.  At least in here people know what they’re taking photos of.  However, they’re still idiots because it’s not as though the Sistine Chapel is a mystery room, people know what it looks like.  All of this is simply a way to prove you were there, but whom do you need to prove to?  Why not just step out from behind the camera and try enjoying the presence of which you’re in, because that is more memorable than a photo the whole world has already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment