Follow me

Follow Us

Saturday 4 July 2009

Cinque Terre

     All I can say about this place is that it’s magnificent.  It’s a place I’d never heard of but after reading about it and hearing other people rave about it I had to stop there.   The only problem is that 2 days was not nearly enough time.  Here I met a bunch more Aussie, “Surprise surprise, you guys really are everywhere, I’m starting to wonder who’s actually living in Australia” , Janey, Kate, Phil, Lauren, Pete & Michelle. 

     Where we stayed wasn’t even really a hostel; you went to reception and then they took small groups of us and put us all in different
apartment style dorms scattered all over the town.  Janey & Kate went one way, Pete & Michelle no idea, and then Phil, Lauren and I, where we met two kewl Americans; Cody and Eric who joined our newly formed family.  First thing we did was dive into the Mediterranean and chill on the rocks; this being my first time in salt water, “Have to learn to swim with my mouth closed cuz it tastes bloody awful.” – Riogamorre, Cinque Terre, Italy.  It was a pretty laid back night.  We made a huge stir fry, “Finally cuz I’ve been carrying that 3 kilos of rice with me since Munich, thanks Briege lol”  We had some drinks and played lots of cards, including Spoons, which is a game Cody officially hates.  After a few people retired for the night the rest of us decided to go for a little trek along the rock pier.  Then Cody and Phil had the genius idea of racing back in the pitch dark, “How you guys made it unscathed is beyond me.”  I walked Janey back to her place through this coastal maze that is a town and that was day one.

     Day 2 was all about out the big hike; 9 km’s along the coast up and down the hills through all 5 towns.  It took 5 hours with a few short stops in each town.  But the reward at the end and all the sights along the way made it by far one of the, if not the best day of my trip so far.  I have pictures, but once again they do no justice.  This is something that can only be shared properly with those you’re there with, “Cheers guys.”  In the last town of Montorosso we hit the beach.  First thing the guys did was our best Hasselhoff Baywatch dive.  After a minute Cody realized he’d brought his camera with him.  We all kind of felt bad for him until Phil pulled his camera out as well, “Sorry guys, but 2 cameras in one go is just too funny.”  On the upside Phil didn’t lose his photos, and it was actually Cody’s ex’s camera.  After a couple hours in Montorosso we jumped on the train back to our town. Which only took, as Phil would put it, “A cheeky 15 minutes.”  That night we all did our own thing for dinner and met back up for some drinks and cards… more Spoons.  Afterwards Phil, Janey and I made another trip to the rocks with a bottle of wine, which seemed to be a popular thing to do as there were a few other groups doing the same.  We just sat there chatting and enjoying the uniqueness of this little hidden coastal town. Definitely a place I’d like to return to.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I just booked my flight to Florence and am planning my trip to Tuscany & Cinque Terre. I can't wait! Here's what my itinerary looks like so far: http://mslistologist.com/?p=1047

    ReplyDelete